The Microscience Microscopy Congress is being held at Manchester Central Convention Complex which is located in the very heart of the city of Manchester. The venue has great transport links as well as being walking distance from a large number of hotels, restaurants, shops and bars.
Located in the centre of the UK- Manchester is served by strong road, rail and air links which makes it easily accessible to visitors from all over the world.
Manchester has its own airport and is well-served by public transport.
Manchester Airport boasts 3 Terminals, allowing it to welcome international flights from over 190 destinations. The Airport has excellent transport links to the centre of Manchester and other major towns and cities of the North West of England. Trains leave every 15 minutes from the Airport directly to Manchester Piccadilly, taking approximately 35 minutes, and taxis leaving from the Airport's taxi rank will take approximately 20 minutes to arrive at Manchester Central (costing £20-£25).
Manchester Central is close to the centre of the city and within a walk of the main railway stations. You may be surprised at how quickly you can be there, making a day visit comfortable.
The table below shows travel times and costs if leaving at ~8am on a weekday.
Advanced train fare
|From||Travel Time||Advanced train fare|
* Travelling after 9am
Manchester is at the heart of a comprehensive motorway network. Manchester's M60 orbital motorway provides easy access from north, south, east and west.
- M6 (from south – Stoke-on-Trent, Birmingham) - leave the M6 at junction 19, just after Knutsford Services. Follow the A556 towards Altrincham and pick up the M56 towards Manchester Airport. Follow the motorway onto the A5103 (Princess Parkway), then follow signs for Manchester Central, Petersfield.
- M6 (from north – Preston, Blackpool, Carlisle) - leave the M6 at junction 21a for the M62 towards Manchester. At junction 12, join the M602 and continue to the end of the motorway (Regent Road Roundabout, Salford). Follow signs to the city centre along Regent Road, and then to Manchester Central, Petersfield.
- M62 (from west – Liverpool) - at M62 junction 12, join the M602 and continue to the end of the motorway (Regent Road Roundabout, Salford). Follow signs to the city centre along Regent Road, and then to Manchester Central, Petersfield.
- M62 (from east – Leeds, Yorkshire) - at M62 junction 18, join the M60 west-bound. Take junction 17 onto the A56 (Bury New Road) and follow signs to the city centre, and then to Manchester Central, Petersfield.
- M56 (from west – North Wales, Chester, Ellesmere Port) - follow the M56 past Manchester Airport. Continue onto the A5103 (Princess Parkway), then follow signs for Manchester Central, Petersfield.
Manchester Central's on-site NCP car park is open 24 hours and the most convenient option. If using a sat nav - please follow the postcode M2 3GX.
Manchester's extensive multi-modal public transport network makes it easy to travel in and around Greater Manchester.
Travel for Greater Manchester is a website designed specifically for travelling in the Manchester area. Their handy route planner allows you to search the best public transport route to take from anywhere in Greater Manchester to Manchester Central. You can also visit a Travelshop at main bus stations throughout Greater Manchester, including Manchester Piccadilly Gardens and Shudehill Interchange.
Metroshuttle and Metrolink
Metroshuttle buses are free and link the city centre's main rail stations, shopping areas and businesses. View the Metroshuttle routes.
Metrolink is a convenient tram network serving Manchester city centre and further afield. Metrolink runs every few minutes from early morning until late in the evening. You don’t need a timetable, just turn up, buy your ticket and the next Metrolink will be along shortly.
Metrolink operates through both Piccadilly and Victoria stations. Manchester Central's nearest Metrolink stop is St Peter’s Square. From there, we're just a few minutes on foot, right behind the Midland Hotel. View the Metrolink routes.
Manchester Central works with Manchester’s black cab drivers to make sure they know when the venue is going to be busy. There is a dedicated taxi rank at the front of the venue for pick ups and drop offs. Black cab taxis are readily available at Manchester Airport and both Piccadilly and Victoria train stations.
Tuesday 4 July: 0845 - 1600, followed by a poster session 1600 - 1800
Wednesday 5 July: 0845 - 1600, followed by a poster session 1600 - 1800
Thursday 6 July: 0930 - 1700
Tuesday 4 July: 0915 - 1800
Wednesday 5 July: 0915 - 1800
Thursday 6 July: 0900 - 1500
Accommodation is not included with registration for mmc2017 but there are a huge number of hotels located just a short walk away from Manchester Central.
Take advantage of the exclusive rates offered to conference delegates and exhibitors by booking online through Reservation Highway.
Alternatively you may wish to complete the Reservation Highway downloadable accommodation form. Please click here for the list of hotels.
Outside the Venue
As Manchester Central is located so close to the city centre, there are a wide range of restaurants and nightlife nearby. More information on places to go in Manchester can be found on the Visit Manchester website.
Please be aware that additional security measures have been put in place for mmc2017. On arrival at the venue you will see bag security checks and additional security personnel on site. This is a measure recommended by the venue but is not indicative of any perceived security concerns.